Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dog Update

Well, it's about time to let everyone in on the thrilling ride of the past month or so!
First of all, Bingo is growing...

And learning!




As for "Buttons"...he got a make-over!


Meet ZORRO!

He is half pug, half poodle: a "pugapoo". Apparently, hybrids are "in", he's even registered! I decided I was going to whip this puppy into such awesome shape that people would be desperate to adopt him. Well, turns out I did such a good job that our family loves him to death. And he got along so well with Bingo, they were like brothers in no time...

So that's it right? The end, happily ever after.

Not even close!

Meet "Sally!"

Sally is a purebred black mini schnauzer that the owner was going to put down bc she was having bad diarrhea. What??! I just couldn't let that happen! So, hardly thinking, I said I'd take her in. I picked her up right away and the girl was a bundle of nerves. I don't think anyone had ever exercised any discipline on her in her life. And she barked like mad at strangers. And when I tried to take her for a walk, she acted as though I was leading her down death row, screaming and thrashing! Five days later...Video of Sally...and I found her a home with a man and his sons who had just lost their schnauzer to some snail bait. Such a happy ending, I decided to go for it again when I heard about a miniature pincsher/german shephard mix whose owners were threatening to send him to the shelter if someone didn't take him off their hands. Meet Shade, who we renamed Shadow because he acted as though we were going to beat him every time we called him.

Shadow was so mellow and laid back and very well behaved. I got so many responses from people dying to take him in, but first to request was a student who was looking for a running partner. I know he's happy with all the individual attention he is getting now. Video of Shadow's Training Video for his adoption ad
And finally, next tenant was "Patch", a shih tzu, poodle mix or Shih-poo!


This little guy was jumping clear up to my face and trying to mount my leg when I picked him up. He was living with a single guy, locked up in his own room in the basement where he was going to the bathroom in a litter box. It only took one day with the other dogs to use up all that pent up energy, and Patch turned out to be a real doll. He was all puppy even though he was 1 year old. He went to a family with children who I know he will absolutely adore!

So I was finally left with only two dogs again, and with the winter coming in I've decided that my fostering days are going to go on hold for a while. I actually started to try and find a new home for Bingo now since he is turning out to be little bit more dog than I can handle inside the house. Well, this lasted less than 24 hours when someone on freecycle announced and offer for a purebred, female pug. I'm thinking, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!


This is "Niki". I don't do people names! "Sally" was an exception because Emi had been obsessed with naming everything Sally lately, so it stayed. The girls and I brainstormed all day and we finally narrowed it down to "Princess", "Peaches", or "Shortcake". Nathan had the final vote when he came home, and we will now endearingly refer to her as "Shortcake".

So our next adventure? Hopefully, Pugapoo Puppies!! What do you think? Is it love?


Official Dog Blog

3 comments:

Alma said...

Tanya, I just about fell out my chair with each introduction. You go, girl!

Steve said...

What a cute bunch of dogs! I've been thinking about getting a dog for us but it probably won't happen yet at this stage in our lives. BUT if you lived near us I know I would end up just having to get one from you! I hope pugapoo puppies will be coming!

Summer said...

wow Tanya, I am truly amazed at how much compassion you have for them! This is something I never got to see in ROC :) It would be such a better world if everyone was like that! Now I can tell Chris I'm not the only one who brings in animals off the streets ;)